24 Nov 2016 in News
Craig Farrimand will be hanging up his boots to concentrate full time on coaching the Rangers' first team next season. After the surprise resignation of his coaching partner Paul Geener, Craig was keen to carry on as the sole coach in charge and this week the Committee agreed to give him that opportunity.
Thirty one players are said to have committed to playing open age for Rangers next year and Craig will have help from former coach Shane Tupaea on matchdays with a new 'senior players' group supporting him at training.
He said; "I'm more optimistic than I have ever been since I came to Rangers that we're going to do well because of our experience last season. The squad will be bigger and younger. We have some good new players coming in. To be back to home and away every week will help aswell."
The squad will be training on wednesdays and saturday morning's pre-season and the lads have been told they need to do extra fitness work in their own time. They've also been read the riot act on discipline after the club was hit with fines for brawls and players being sent off last season.
Craig said; "It was tough having the last seven games away from home and we knew promotion was slipping away. Week by week frustration kicked in and we were giving more penalties away but I'm making it clear that's not good enough."
With the club intending to have a second team for the first time in years, the coach is keen for all senior teams to work to the same plan.
"There aren't going to be massive changes from last year," he said, "I want to concentrate on ensuring that the first teams game plans filter down through the second team to the U18s aswell so when a player steps up they know what we're want to do."
"We know it's a strong division but as we proved, on our day we can beat anyone. Nothing short of the play-offs will be good enough and I'm confident we can go up this time."